Hyesan’s MSS director still in office despite security leak
The director of Hyesan’s Ministry of State Security (MSS) office is still wielding authority despite speculation that he would resign after a leak involving North Korean leader Kim Jong Un’s travel plans to Samjiyon last October, Daily NK has learned.
“He was to be given an ‘honorable discharge’ based on his advanced age in December after the leakage of news that Kim Jong Un’s train would pass through Hyesan,” a Ryanggang Province said source on Thursday. “He wasn’t removed from his position, however, and recently received a one year extension in his term.”
Daily NK reported previously that North Korea authorities had viewed the leak as a serious issue given that the security network safeguarding Kim Jong Un was compromised. Sources predicted that the MSS director in Hyesan would take the blame and be forced to resign.
North Korean authorities are justifying the director’s extension in office under the pretext that “there isn’t a suitable predecessor,” one source told Daily NK. Sources suspect, however, that “powerful backers” are the main reason the man hasn’t been forced to resign. ......